I like this chimney. I really do. It will still be around long after I’m gone.
It was made from the stone that we salvaged from the cabin’s original chimney (that is, where she once stood), plus we had to scrounge around on this farm’s rock piles for the “extras” that we always seem to need.
I’m not certain why that is, but it’s a rule… there is never enough stone from a chimney to rebuild the same chimney back. Go figure.
The original builders of this chimney had “first picks” when it came time to select the best stones laying around in the surrounding area, which meant that we had some nice stones to work with. And, fortunately for us, those same builders did not have access to our modern cement, so disassembling the chimney was easy.
We rebuilt the chimney using the same techniques that were used when it was originally built (which also matched the other chimney on this house). We carefully laid each stone flat and in a horizontal pattern. No stick-on stones here.
I did not add any flare to the top of the chimney. I normally like to add a simple decorative touch… some people call it a crown… but here we chose to match the other chimney on this house which didn’t have one.
Originally posted 2015-04-19 13:31:25.